9.6.09

endless rain into a paper cup

Letters I wrote in my head today. Tuesday.

Dear Rainy Day,

I was going to run outside today, but you were downpouring, and your friend lightning was striking awfully close to my house. You make me kind of emo, so I decided to waste my morning, the one I actually woke up semi-early for the first time, watching a movie. I kind of thank you for that, but it took away some of my productivity and motivation. So, maybe I don't thank you for that.

I'm sure I'll see you soon.

Sincerely,
Laura
**
Dear Panera at Oak Park,

Thank you for allowing me to have a splendid meeting spot for me to meet up with my friend Tricia. You provided a great atmosphere for us to catch up. Your Broccoli Cheese soup could take a few pointers from the Manhattan store, but the coffee was just dandy.

Thanks again,
Laura
**
Dear Clothing Companies,

I understand that the world dresses with less and less fabric these days, and the trends are all to be short and sassy...but some of us have long legs and look like complete skanks when we wear things above our knees. It would be greatly appreciated if you would lengthen the hem length on your skirts and dresses and made more bermuda shorts for those of us who need it. Think of it as the "long" option in jeans. I LOVE the long option in jeans. It saves me a lot of grief. Why not a "long" option in dresses and skirts?

Just a thought. Thank you for your time.

Laura
**
Dear American Eagle,

I feel like I am getting to old for you, or you are getting younger faster. Either way, I think this time next year I won't be buying from you anymore. This fact makes me sad.

Take care,
Laura
**
Dear Aerie,

You are my happy place. Thank you for your great customer service and treating me like an actual person and not just another customer you want to get money out of. Although, you did give me lots of things to try on that I wasn't interested in, you made me feel appreciated. Especially on an emo rainy day. I wish I could have found something worth buying so I could pick out a pretty ribbon for my bag. Maybe some other day.

Oh, and could you make your sports bras into medium and a half? Because that's what size I need. Thanks.

Yours,
Laura
**
Dear Teenagers,

Stop going to the mall. You annoy me and everyone else in the world.

Sincerely,
Laura
**
Dear Mall Kiosks,

Thank you for not approaching me today. I would have given you a lot of sass. You saved yourself some heartache.

Laura
**
Dear Barnes and Noble,

I have a gift card for you and I was excited to use it. You make me indecisive so I had to come home and research so I could decide waht to buy later. You have so many options.

You also make me want to be a writer even more than I thought. Maybe someday my book can confuse people with its witty title and super interesting cover that makes everyone want to buy it - or at least read the back of it. B&N, you inspire me. Good thing I have a gift card to you AND Starbucks. This way, I can enjoy you free of charge for a few weeks. Maybe I'll use you to start writing my book. I think that's what I'll do instead of working. I'll just write a best selling novel, then an autobiography, and then a series of children books. I mean, how hard can it be, right?

Right.

Much love,
Laura
**
Dear Oak Park Parking lot,

Stop trying to be like Manhattan with your poor drainage system. I was up to my ankles in water getting to my car. I'm glad I wore my shorts today. But now my feet are all dry and stuff. I don't like it.

Also, you have too many parking spots. Can you plant some trees? I mean, I know you needs those spots when it's the holiday season, but who needs that many people in the mall anyway?

Oh, well. I shouldn't have driven to the mall anyway since I live so close, but Rainy Day poured on me when I was going to AND from the mall, so it was worth it.

Concerned Citizen,
Laura
**
Dear Red Zipper Hoodie,

You are the best. Thank you for taking all the rain out of my hair and allowing me to be semi-dry when I got to the mall and home. You rock. I don't know what I'd do without you.

Love!
Laura
**
Dear Trash Man,

It's almost five in the evening...can you come already? I thought you had and I brought the trash can back into the garage only to find out that the trash was still in it.

Thank you,
Laura
**
Dear Ingrid Michaelson,

You are incredibly talented and I love listening to your music all day every day. You are one reason I wish I would have stayed home from Italy last summer...to see you in concert. I hope you come back to Kansas soon.

Sincerely,
Laura
**
Dear Blog Readers,

Thanks for listening to my thoughts on this rainy Tuesday. I seriously narrated my day like this.

Apparently when I walk around big malls by myself I go slightly crazy.

Whatevs.

Love,
Laura

P.S. What is your favorite book? Or CD? I have B&N and iTunes gift cards.

2 comments:

rachel rianne said...

ha,
you're cute.

i'd say...
buy a copy of cat's cradle by kurt vonnegut.
i'm reading it right now and love it, but it's kurt vonnegut, so that's really no surprise.

or if you want to go true classic, east of eden, john steinbeck.

and for a cd, buy 3 rounds and a sound by blind pilot.

k that's all.

LetterZ said...

Say the word and I'll be where you are.

No way I could answer that book question. Hah. Let's play soon.