Quick rant:
Disclaimer: I haven't seen 8 of the 9 movies that were up for the Academy Awards, so I am not going to pretend that I know things.
(The movie I saw was "Moneyball" and it definitely surprised me that it was nominated. But that's not what I'm here to say.)
That being said, I am NOT okay with people talking about how "The Artist" isn't a real movie, didn't deserve best picture, isn't worth watching, etc. because it is in black and white and is silent.
I am NOT okay with that. I consider that an extremely ignorant and completely disrespectful opinion about film making.
If, however, these people have seen "The Artist" and hold the opinion that it wasn't good, then that is fine. Please, however, do not judge it based on its lack of language and color. It's almost like those people who never give foreign films a chance. It absolutely drive me crazy.
One of the most incredible movies I have seen is the French film "Amelie." Until you immerse yourself in that captivating film, you don't understand its brilliance.
The Academy Awards always brings this little actress back out of me. I get really jazzed about acting and want to jump back into it and get really defensive about the arts and everything it involves.
So, if you are going to bash a silent, black and white film, do NOT do it in front of me. It's as bad to me as saying you'd prefer a person who isn't albino or isn't mute. You just DON'T do that.
Equality, even in film. Equality, always.
Thanks for allowing me my soapbox.
I look forward to seeing "The Artist" - hope it was worth me defending. But as long as the Academy thinks so, I'm good, right?
1 comment:
This is Daniel. Just so you know....I'm the guy that hates those films and if I accidentally get a foreign film at Red Box, I turn it off and take it back. We should probably never watch a movie together. :)
This is your true friend Rachel...I liked your post and love that you used the word jazzed in it.
Post a Comment